Students have access to counsellors and Student Support officers. Students needing counselling, study skills assistance or practical help should make an appointment with Student Support Officers (SSO), at the campus.  An appointment can be made at reception or by emailing on  Alternatively, if you require to contact a counsellor privately and in confidence, students are referred to Shiromi, a registered counsellor and a phone number 0416671450 is provided for Students to take an appointment. SSO can assist with a number of personal situations and problems such as:

  • Personal issues, counselling and general support
  • Placement in a different class; and or a reduction in course load due to personal reasons
  • Financial, employment or legal issues
  • Student personal and family concerns, issues and general support
  • Help lodging a complaint/appeal and grievance/conflict resolution
  • Leave, suspension, deferment or cancellation of enrolment for personal reasons
  • Relationship issues, drug, alcohol and family violence
  • Stress and coping. Adjustment difficulties and personal or family emergencies
  • Access and equity issues including discrimination, accommodation and services
  • Student welfare and support
  • Referrals to other agencies/professionals


Student support services available to students in the transition to life and study in a new environment.

  • Legal services.
  • Academic issues
  • Personal and Social issues
  • Accommodation
  • Social Programs
  • Emergency and health services.
  • Facilities and resources.
  • Complaints and appeals processes.
  • Any student visa condition relating to course progress and/or attendance as appropriate.
  • services overseas students can access for information on their employment rights and conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work


Language Literacy and Numeracy Support:

Assessing the learner’s language literacy and numeracy skills during a pre-training review to ensure they have adequate skills to complete the training program

Supporting learners with training and assessment material and strategies that are easily understood and suitable to the level of the workplace skills being delivered

Providing information to learners about details of language, literacy and numeracy assistance available.

Where a level of support is assessed as necessary for a learner that is beyond the support offered by PCA  , the learner will be referred to external language, literacy and numeracy support services, and an extension of time to complete the training program negotiated if necessary.


Legal Services:

PCA is able to provide some advice and guidance on a limited range of situations. Where the SSO feels it appropriate for you to gain professional legal advice they will refer you to an appropriate legal professional.

PCA will not charge for a referral.

The students can contact

Student can contact Community legal centres  on

Students can also refer to for any information.


Academic issues

Students may have concerns with their attendance, academic performance or other related issues that are placing them at risk of not achieving the requirements of their course. Students are able to gain advice and support in ensuring they maintain appropriate academic progress, attendance levels and general support to ensure they achieve satisfactory results in their studies. All students’ progress and attendance is monitored and guidance and support provided where non satisfactory results are identified. A student is able to access the SSO to discuss any academic, attendance, or other related issues to studying at the PCA at any time. The SSO will be able to provide advice and guidance, or referral, where required. There is no additional charge for this service.


Tutoring support

During the training and assessment, if it is identified that student is at risk of completing the qualification with in expected duration, PCA will be arranging the extra academic support to the student. It may be in the form of extra tutoring to the student or providing extra time to complete the assessment. Extra tutoring will be free of cost.


Financial support services

Students are encouraged to contact the SSO to discuss any concerns in relation to their finances.

PCA can make easy monthly installment plans. Students will not be charged to get into the installment.


Health and disability services:

Australia has laws to protect individuals from discrimination in many areas of public life. A person with a disability has just as much right to study as an able-bodied student. PCA will not:

  • refuse admission to a student with a disability
  • ask a student with a disability to meet requirements that do not apply to able-bodied students (for example, pay higher fees)
  • deny or limit access to a student with a disability (for example, not allowing them to go on excursions, or having student common rooms or lecture facilities that are not accessible).

Students are required to disclose the disability during the admission and enrolment process.

If you have specific needs, you should contact PCA several weeks before you arrive to make the appropriate arrangements.

PCA will make every effort to accommodate a student with a disability. However, the institution is not legally required to make modifications if the changes involve major difficulties or incur unreasonable costs. The institution has to prove the changes are unjustified. Before making such a claim, the institution will have direct discussions with the student and seek expert advice.

If you are experiencing a problem at PCA, you should first talk to staff at institution. If informal discussions do not resolve the problem, you can lodge a formal complaint. PCA maintain the complaint register and has documented process for complaint and appeals. are required to have a process for students to register complaints.

If you feel you have a legitimate complaint that is not being recognised by PCA, you should approach the Australian Human Rights Commission.

You can make a confidential enquiry over the phone, but you must lodge a formal complaint in writing before the commission can take action. Find out more about disability rights in Australia at



Personal and Social issues

There are many issues that may affect a student’s social or personal life and students have access to the SSO through normal college hours to gain advice and guidance on personal issues, accommodation issues, or family / friend issues. Where the SSO feels further support should be gained, a referral to an appropriate support service will be organised.


Counselling Service

Counselling service Lifeline 13 11 44. For any referral, PCA does not charge any cost. For more information, students can refer to the link given below.

Mental Health Support:

Following information has been taken from “

Being an international student studying in Australia can be quite stressful. It is important to make sure student is taking care of himself/herself. Not just physically but also emotionally and mentally. Here are a few tips to reducing your stress while you are studying.

  • Find an activity or exercise at a gym! Examples include taking regular walks in individual’s neighborhood, joining a boot camp or joining a non-competitive community sports team.
  • Eat healthy! Check out a great resource.
  • Learn Mindfulness. Learning how to meditate can be hard to do by yourself. But there are some great apps that have guided meditation tracks. Find a list of popular ones here.
  • Charge your electronic devices away from your bed!
  • Listen to music!
  • Call your friends and family from your home country!
  • Take some time to clean your room!
  • Take a long shower or bath!
  • Watch a new film or television show!
  • Buy a plant!
  • Your institution might have other information how to deal with stress.


It is okay to be sad sometimes, however, sometimes we need extra help to get back on our feet! Don’t just ignore it! If stress gets too overwhelming, don’t be afraid to get extra help. Sometimes talking to a professional is the only way you are able to feel better.


If you ever feel like you are going to hurt yourself, call “000” right away or head to emergency.


Suicide Call Back: 1 300 659 467


Lifeline 24-Hour Counselling and Crisis Support Chat: 13 11 14


Mensline Australia: 1 300 78 99 78


Beyondblue Support Services: 1 300 224 636


Mental Health Crisis Numbers (unless otherwise noted, they are 24/7)

ACT: Mental Health Triage Service, 1 800 629 354 or 02 6205 1065


NSW: Ring nearest hospital or the Mental Health Line at 1 800 011 511


NT: Northern Territory Mental Health Service at 1 800 682 288


QLD: Call the nearest hospital, Emergency Service 000 or Lifeline 1 800 682 288


SA: Mental Health Triage Service 13 14 65


TAS: Mental Health Services Helpline 1 800 332 388 (9 am – 11 pm) or nearest hospital


VIC: SuicideLine 1 300 651 251 or ring nearest hospital for closest crisis team


WA: In Perth, call the Mental Health Emergency Response Team at 08 9224 8888; elsewhere call RuralLink at 1 800 552 002 ”.





While PCA does not offer accommodation services or take any responsibility for accommodation arrangements, the SSO of the PCA is able to refer students to appropriate accommodation services and is always available to discuss any issues or concerns a student may have with their accommodation arrangements. All students are encouraged to have accommodation organised prior to arrival in Australia but the SSO can refer students to appropriate accommodation services. Details about accommodation can be obtained from the Student Hand book and pre-Departure guide. PCA will not charge for a referral.


Housing and tenancy services:


Students can always contact the SSO for housing and tenancy concerns.

SSO can guide them and provide information about the relevant bodies or websites, students can refer to.

Students can refer to for further information on tenancy and housing services.


Career services

  • PCA has got dedicated student support officers, who will be the point of contact for the students.
  • Students can discuss or seek advice from SSO in relation to their career.
  • Students can seek an appointment with SSO to discuss career options or advice
  • SSO will advise the students according to his/her capacity, if SSO does not find himself/herself able to address the query at his/her own level, SSO will be contacting the senior staff at PCA.
  • SSO can also refer students to Qualified Education Agent Counsellor.
  • SSOs can help the students to make resume and refer to the job websites.
  • Students can also discuss the learning outcome and career after completion of the enrolled course.
  • Students can refer to for further information in relation to work and their rights.
  • Students can refer to


Emergency and health services

On-campus health services:

First aid

First aid officer is available on campus.

Emergency services – triple zero (000)

Is someone seriously injured or in need of urgent medical help?

Is your life or property being threatened?

Have you just witnessed a serious accident or crime?

If you answered YES, call Triple Zero (000). Calls to Triple Zero are free.


The emergency phone number for an ambulance in Australia is ‘000’. (This number should only be dialled in an emergency and you require ambulance, police, or fire attendance.)

Visit the Triple Zero website( )  for more information.


Language, Literacy and Numeracy Support

If a student is found to need additional literacy and numeracy (LLN) support and they were not identified at the time of their application then trainer/assessor may give them extra time and support.  If the LLN deficiency clearly inhibits the student’s ability to complete their course, then they may be advised to defer their course and to enrol on a suitable English course and then resume.

If PCA cannot provide the course then the student will be referred to an organization who can assist in improving their skills. On attaining proficiency, they may then resume or reapply to PCA.


Reasonable Adjustment

Anti Discrimination Act uses the principle of reasonable adjustment to ensure that people with disabilities are treated equally. This means that ‘reasonable’ adjustments must be made wherever possible; to meet the needs of a Student with a disability.

At PCA we can do the following to assist with your requirements for reasonable adjustment:

Make training and assessment materials and methods more accessible.

Training and assessment methods that suit most students may hinder access for some students with a disability. PCA is able to present information through a range of methods to assist students with a disability.

Adapt the physical environment and equipment to better suit the student with disability. Students requiring reasonable adjustment, should speak to their Trainer or the SSO in the first instance.



An orientation program is conducted before Institute’s classes begin. Attendance is compulsory for all international students and highly recommended for domestic students. The program includes an introduction to PCA, its services and facilities as well as an introduction to Australian culture, society and life. Students are also introduced to the academic culture and rules of the Institute that are necessary for successful study.

The orientation program also involves social activities, which will help you to meet other students and familiarize yourself with the Institute and surroundings.

Apart from the Student Orientation Program the SSO will occasionally organise social events that allow all students enrolled with PCA to mingle and socialise. These events may range from cultural and sightseeing events, to dinners, excursions, get together parties and sporting events. They will be organised as demand requires and any suggestions can be forwarded to the SSO.

The orientation program will provide information about:

  • support services available to assist overseas students to help them adjust to study and life in Australia;
  • English language and study assistance programs;
  • any relevant legal services;
  • emergency and health services;
  • the registered provider’s facilities and resources;
  • complaints and appeals processes;
  • requirements for course attendance and progress, as appropriate;
  • the support services available to assist overseas students with general or personal
  • circumstances that are adversely affecting their education in Australia; and
  • services overseas students can access for information on their employment rights and

conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work




New students at PCA benefit from opportunities to become familiar including the academic and support services provided by PCA.

Along with general orientation activities, new students may have particular needs or issues requiring specific support and interventions. At PCA, it is mandatory for new students to attend the orientation and sign the orientation and induction pack.


Recommended Orientation and Transition Activities

It is acknowledged that the first year of learning can present challenges to all new learners, particularly those students from backgrounds in which international education might not be a typical path. Regardless of the campus, PCA provides structured orientation courses to cater to the diverse needs of learners who may be at different stages of preparedness for study at PCA. These experiences ensure new students have opportunities to:

  • Identify and meet key academic, support and other relevant campus staff to build connections within PCA
  • Familiarise themselves with academic and support services that will assist with the development of successful study and learning habits
  • Develop a sense of belonging to PCA.


External Counsellor

PCA’s students can use the services of an external independent counsellor. She can assist with issues that may arise during your studies. Students who require contacting a counsellor privately and in confidence can do so using the dedicated email and telephone number provided below.

Please contact Shiromi directly to make an appointment and inform them you are an Phoenix College of Australia. Student ID must be shown on arrival or in the meeting. Shiromi will arrange the face to face skype meeting to discuss the issue.


Call: 0416671450

Visit: No. 17 Lookout Rise, Maclead, Vic: 3085

Students can use this information to contact and organise a dedicated appointment time and availability. This service is available to all students and is free of charge for the first four (4) counselling sessions.